Friday, August 27, 2010

Scary Automatic Flushers

Our youngest is potty training and it's going much better then the older kids.  We have only hit one problem.  Going to the bathroom in public.  Just last week we went to a public bathroom with automatic flushers and while she was sitting on the toilet it flushed and it was really loud.  It scared her so bad she refused to even sit on the toilet.  Now going anywhere besides our own toilet is really scary for her.  Dilemma!
Well I talked with a friend who gave me really great advise.  She actually sits on the toilet with them so the toilet won't flush while their on it.  We tried it and it worked.  Now I don't think I want to be doing this for a really long time but for now while she is getting use to the whole toilet thing, it's better then pee all over the supermarket floor.  Anyone else found anything that helps with going to the bathroom in public?

6 comments:

  1. At the new Walmart, in the back by the electronics is a family bathroom with a teeny tiny potty. Holly loves it and now we have to visit the bathroom everytime we're there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know, we'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Heather, my oldest was PETRIFIED of the automatic flushers. My sister had the idea to cover the sensor with her hand while my daughter went to the bathroom. It worked like a charm. If you cover it solidly with your hand, it can't sense any movement. Now my #4 hates the flushers too, so having me cover the thing gives her a sense of security. She always says something like, "Okay, Mom, wait until I say you can take your hand off to flush." I think she feels like she's in control--she will know exactly when it's going to flush, just like she would if the toilet didn't have a sensor. I have heard of moms carrying sticky notes in their purse to cover the sensor with, but my hand is always available and free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacob has been a bit scared of public restrooms but he has been better. I guess I'm just mean and I make him since I know we won't make it home. I think covering the sensor with your hand is a perfect solution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scout wrote: on facebook
    " most public restrooms have the toilet seat cover dispensers hung above the sensors. If you pull out a cover part-way it hangs over the sensor and prevents it from activating until the cover is removed. Genius!"

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!