Sunday, June 21, 2009

Welcome Home!

My husband and I had two days and nights where Grandma and Grandpa took the kids so we could run a relay race together. We had such a great time. It's good to get away once in a while and remember how fun it is to be alone together.
While I was getting ready to welcome home my kids, I was thinking about how important that welcome is in there life. They go to a friends house, school, church activities, scouts, dating, and other times they leave the home and then come home. I remember how important it was that my mom or dad was home when I came home from friends houses, school activities and later dates. Just knowing they were up and waiting for me made me feel safe and also act my best self. I thought to myself...Are they excited to come home? What is my reaction to them coming home? Am I available to talk and give hugs? I think at sometimes I'm better at welcoming then others times. At times when the boys have come home and they don't see me right off, they will call out, "Mom, are you home, where are you?" I would like to consciously do better at giving a warm welcome to my kids so they look forward to being back at home. Some things I thought about that I could do...
1. When they get home, go to them and give hugs and tell them you missed them by your actions and words.
2. Have a little snack ready, especially if they have been gone to school and may be hungry and be ready to be a listening ear if they need to talk.
3. Ask open ended questions rather then yes and no questions about their day.
4. Take a minute clean up just a bit, so the home is more comfortable to be in.
These are just a few I thought of today. I'd love to hear what you do to make this welcome special.

3 comments:

  1. When the kids are coming home from school I like to sometimes walk with the other kids to get them or I just wait outside for them. I like to put notes in Danika's lunch so she knows I'm thinking of her. As for the snacks....one of my favorite memories is coming home to the smell of cookies being baked in the kitchen. So I like to make cookies for them...not everyday but I probably do it two or three times a month. We also make a big deal of seeing them when they wake up in the morning. Acting so excited that they are awake makes the morning go smoother. I guess Acting isn't the best word to use but you know what I men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for these great ideas. Clarissa starts kindergarten in August so this will be my first chance to practice the 'welcome.'

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!