Monday, July 20, 2009

Healthy Recipes: Homemade Granola

Since I am trying to feed my children a variety of healthy foods, I thought I would occasionally share some recipes they enjoy. My mom would make this for us as kids. I love it hot right after it's been cooked with cold milk. Here goes for the first one which uses a lot of food storage items as well:

Favorite Granola
(From my favorite recipe book- Set for Life by Merrill She also has a great section in the back about healthy eating for pregnancy and nursing and great ideas for family eating as well)
4 cups old-fashioned oats (I also use a combination of other flakes like barley)
2 cups rolled wheat
1 cup unprocessed oat or wheat bran
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1-2 cups slivered almonds
Mix these dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Heat the following until the sugar is dissolved:
1/2 cup oil
1 cup water
3/4 cup brown sugar (you can substitute honey)
Add after heated:
1 teas vanilla

Simply add to the dry ingredients until mixed well and bake in a 200 oven for 1 1/2 hours. For chunky granola do not stir during baking. Break into bite-size pieces and add 2 cups of dried fruit (our favorites raisins, dried apples, pineapple, craisins, coconut and dates). Store in an airtight container. Serve as a cold cereal. Excellent as a topper on Yogurt Parfaits.
All the main ingredients in this recipe you can get at a health food store or most grocery stores. Let me know if you try it out.

3 comments:

  1. Perfect timing Heather! I just got the idea to make some granola a few weeks ago and just started looking for recipes. I think I'll begin with this one!! I need to gather a bunch of these ingredients, but I'll let you know when I make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great healthy food! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I think it’s a good idea to make available these healthy foods to children instead of junk food.

    Regards..
    Children’s Vitamins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granola Getaways recipes will usually cost you less and be healthier than prepackaged granolas available from grocery and health food stores.

    Healthy Granola Recipes

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!