Oh I wish I had my degree already and wasn't in school, it's just so hard. Or, I wish my baby would sleep through the night, I'm so tired. I'm so bored, I've already cleaned my house today, my baby is sleeping, I'm so lonely. Or I wish we didn't have to buy diapers anymore.
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Wishing only wounds the heart
Don't dream too far, Don't lose sight of who you are...(Words from "I'm Not that Girl")
This really sad song from "Wicked" has a very melancholy melody and theme. The message I take from it may be a bit unconventional. Sometimes I find myself wishing today away.
All of these things I know I have said before, and maybe you are saying them now. But we all someday will get to a place where we look back and want those times back or wish we would have treasured that time more. I think of my brother who is out of state and wishing he was closer to family, just like I wish he was closer to us, but how could we both enjoy these times we are in right now! I think there are several things we can do:
1. Count you blessing: Look at today, and find everything you can that is great. This really helps me realize I do have many things to smile about, (well someday's it maybe only one, but finding one is important!)
2. Journaling: Put your thoughts and feelings in writing and take time to remember yesterday--this helps me keep life in perspective
3. Take one day at a time: Don't get caught up in getting so busy that we can't enjoy today--(I'm preaching to myself on this one!)
4. Serve--However busy you are or how much you really don't feel like serving anyone, it will change you for the better in every case. As you serve your life is lifted to new heights and not just you but others around you are changed. Your children will catch it. I know my mom serving others has made me look outside of myself because she did the same.
5. Take time to meditate--A quiet minute might be all you have but take time to mediate or pray. Don't lose sight of who you really are. You are so much more.
I would love to hear your ideas of things you do to keep today beautiful and not just wish it away.