Friday, October 9, 2009

Extra-curricular Activites Poll Results

WHAT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES? (CHOOSE 2)

Music Lessons: 9 --90%
Team Sports: 0 0%
Scouting/church activities 9 90%
Individual sports (swimming, karate) 2 20%
Speech/drama 0 0%
Job/Employment 1 10%

Total Votes 10

I once heard a family say they were really glad they had mostly girls because they didn't have to involve them in extra-curricular activities. I was saddened by that because I think girls need just as much opportunities to develop their talents as boys do. I really appreciate that my mom and dad felt it was important for me to take Music, dancing, and swimming lessons. From these I not only learned how to dance, play the piano, and not drown in a poll but I also learned about myself. I learned that I am capable of things but I have to work hard to get good at something. When something got hard my mom taught me not to quit. She helped me see that I can get better at something if I really want to and I practice. I hope to instill these same values in my own children by encouraging them to develop their talents and give them opportunities to learn. I don't ever think they will become professional musicians but they will learn how to be better people. My only concern is they get too involved that they don't have time to just play and be kids. I have to be careful about that because I as a person tend to over-schedule myself, I don't want to do that to my kids.

Check out the next poll about sucking thumbs and pacifiers. I'm in a little conundrum and would love your opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!