Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Food Co-op

Do you enjoy having fresh fruits and veggies for your family? By providing a variety of foods to my kids I hope it is helping their diet to be well rounded and nutritious. Good habits can start young.
It can get expensive to provide a variety of fruits and veggies year round. I have found a way to save money through two Food Co-ops. One I have already blogged about (Community of Food Co-op of Utah) and I discovered a new one called Bountiful Baskets. Bountiful Baskets is in four states: Utah, Arizona, Washington, and Idaho. You get a ton of variety wonderful fresh quality. It's run by volunteers and the food is purchased in bulk so you the benefit of great prices.
Last week we got, green lettuce, radishes, celery, onions, pineapple, bananas, oranges, pears, mini watermelon, apples, and Brussels sprouts. I might have missed something. So it filled a cooler and we couldn't put the lid on it was so full. We paid 19.50 for all that. I have a friend who for several months priced it out and she always came out ahead. I don't even bother to count-it's a great deal. Anyway don't take my word for it. Check out their website. They do this every other week. I have a membership to Costco and my complaint of getting fruit and veggies their is you get a ton of one item. It wasn't working because a lot of the produce would go bad before we could use it all. The amount you get with the co-op is a reasonable amount for one family to eat without getting sick of it before its gone.
I had been doing another food-coop which I still also love but their isn't a pickup site close to my home so it makes it more difficult. The Community of Food Coop of Utah is done once a month and includes not only fruits and vegetables but grains and meats. They even take food stamps. It's worth checking into as well!

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to check into that. My kids actually love veggies. They will eat them before anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to check out all the pick up sites from the homepage (site location/directions) and scroll to your state. Each week it varies where they deliver to.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!