Friday, January 14, 2011

Exercising Tips

This is the time of year that it is hard to get a lot of exercise when it's so cold outside.  Even though you as the mom and dad are not directly helping your child by exercising, they are indirectly helping them in so many ways.  Seeing you being healthy will help them follow your example when they are older.  The endorphins that you get from exercising will help your mood and help you be a happier parent.
I've been exercising for a long time and found a few things that help me keep going and see results.
1.  Do it everyday at the same time, if it's scheduled it will happen much easier!
2.  Spice up your routine and don't do the same thing everyday.  But make a plan at the beginning of the week so you don't sit there and think what should I do.   ie.  Monday-I will run for 30 minutes, Tuesday I will do the Wii Fit for 45 minutes, Wed.  I will do the Elliptical for 30, Thursday, I will do weigh training for 45 minutes.  etc.  (If you are looking to lose weight aim for 1 hour of exercise a day, if you are trying to maintain a healthy weight do at least half an hour)
3.  When you exercise, use as many muscle groups as you can.  For example if you are on the treadmill, don't hold on the treadmill unless you have serious balance issues.  Using your arms will increase your heart rate and give you a much better workout.  Use a balance board or ball while you do some of your weighted arm workouts.
4.  When working out with weight machines, maximize your time by rotating through 3-5 machines.  If you sit and rest for 1 minute after every machine, you add so much time to your workout where you are just idle and not keeping your heart rate (not to mention it annoys everyone at the gym who wants to use that machine).  Just be sure to do a totally different set of muscle groups, that way your muscles can rest while using a different muscle group.
5.  Most gyms offer personal training.  Golds Gym gives you three free ones when you sign up.  Planet Fitness offers free group classes.  It's so worth it to meet with a trainer and talk about your goals and how you can best achieve these.
6.  Don't be intimidated to try something new at a gym.  Ask questions, most people find it very flattering if someone asks them how something works.
7.  You don't need a gym membership to get a great workout.  Get some videos from the library, dance in your front room to music, use things in your house to lift.  Using your own body weight by doing sit ups, push ups, and stretching are all great workouts.
8.  Always stretch out after your workouts.  When I don't I can really tell because I'm more sore.
9.  When you do use weight machines, try to do three sets with 8-12 repetitions.  The first set make that your lightest weight, second set heavier, and last set make the heaviest.
10.  Do things you enjoy and if you don't enjoy it do it anyway because your children want you to be around when they are having their children.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could work out more. I started to do Zumba shortly after I got pregnant but with how far along I am the bouncing makes my belly hurt. I want to do it again after I have the baby. I also have found that swimming is something fun and really gives you a work out. We have been going to the sports academy (we got a three month membership at a silent auction) Danika loves to do laps. I need to do better at exercising consistently. It's harder in the winter although my kids enjoy my kitchen dancing ha ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Zumba too. I wish they had more of those classes at Golds Gym. I also think swimming is awesome. Especially when your pregnant. When your pregnant it is so hard to exercise so Sandra don't sweat it too much. You can only do what you can do. You bounce right back after birth so easily I'm sure it's because you are so active!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!