Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Why can't I vote?

 


Yesterday my ten year old son asked me why he couldn't vote.  It made me chuckle inside.  But it got me thinking, when did I start voting, and I couldn't remember what age I was.  I do remember going with my parents to vote for the first time and it was really exciting for me.  It's funny because I really thought it was sixteen, but after looking up to verify I know that isn't right because the legal age is 18.  So I have a pretty bad memory.  Nineteen states allow 17 year old to vote in primary elections and caucuses if they will turn 18 by election day.
Our ancestors fought for their freedom to vote, and it's sad that the majority of US citizens who can vote choose not to.  I have always thought I have done my civil duty by voting at each small and large elections.  Most of the time I could recognize the names I was voting for.  Deep inside I know I have been skating by and  have not done enough to be involved and informed of the issues.  My church has strongly encouraged it's members to attend our neighborhood caucus meetings.  To read the letter they read at church click here.  So much that they have canceled all weekday church meetings so no one has an excuse.  Needless to say, I will be attending my first caucus meeting this week.  I really believe we should listen to our church leaders and if they feel it's important then I should to right?
I'm a little anxious because I have never attended one of these before.  I also really had no idea where my meeting was so I did a little research and found out.  If you would like to do the same all you need to do it search for, "Democrat/Republican (type your affiliation) neighborhood caucus meeting (then type your county).  I've heard the meetings are usually about an hour and are really our biggest opportunity to make a difference.  For those who have chosen not to affiliate with a party, I don't know but it seems by affiliating you can make more of a difference.  The decisions our elected officials make really have a difference on our lives and the lives of our children so take the time and make a difference this year by attending your neighborhood caucus meeting, get informed, and vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments!