Saturday, April 21, 2012

Children's Vitamins-Do they really need these?



We have been going through some major struggles over taking our vitamins in the morning.  The kids love their Fluoride pills but loath taking their multi-vitamins.  I find them in the garbage, hidden under the table, or just left on their plates.  All of my children hate taking them because they are "gross."  So I've been wondering if they really need them?
I have always thought that taking vitamins is really good and healthy so that's what I've done.  After reading some articles I have seen online (links are within), I'm wondering if it's all that necessary.  A study published in the journal Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, suggests that many parents may believe that multivitamins provide children with extra nutrients they might not be getting in their everyday diets. However, there is no solid evidence that taking a multivitamin improves a child's health.
The consensus I hear is if your child is getting a balanced diet there is no need for a multivitamin.  Children don't really need large amounts of vitamins and minerals.   Their are so many foods now that are already supplemented with extra vitamins like milk, cereal, orange juice, fruit snacks, etc. that these can help.  I can see if your child is extremely picky but if they are growing and are healthy they may not have nutritional deficiencies.

I guess I don't want the battle in the morning so I'm leaning towards getting rid of the vitamins.  I also hate to buy something if it's not doing that much good anyway.  Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. My sons doctor actually told me to stop giving the vitamines that it was too much of whatevers in them and it was making him sick because he was already getting what he needed from foods

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!